The problem we are seeing is if the same user is enrolled in one edition, say First Aid Aug. 1 at 9:00 am, and they do not attend, we change their status to "Suspended". Then, if they are subscribed to the next edition, say First Aid Sept. 1 at 9:00 am, and they pass and complete the course, we change their status to "Completed". However if you go and look at that user's status for the First Aid Aug. 1 at 9:00 am edition, it too will now say completed....even though they did not complete the course on that date/edition.
Is this how the program is supposed to behave? Would I need to make each monthly offering it's own course if I want to track accurately when someone does not complete a course?
Also the "date completed" for any course that is shows on the user statistics (tab report), shows the date/time of when their status was changed in the system to "completed" and not the actual end time of the course. Why does this happen?
first of all, welcome on board and thank you for your detailed post.
First question: no, it's not how it should be. Or anyway it's an undesired and misleading behaviour. I inserted this issue as a bug in our bugtracker, in the meanwhile you can do as you suggested, or remove the user from the edition he didn't attend.
Please know that you can also use an online test, to have users pass and complete a classroom course. This way, completion date will display as the date the user actually completed the course on.
Second question (related to the first): if you manually change the status, it's normal that the completion date will be when you manually made the change. To avoid that (and to avoid manually changing the completion dates of everybody) you could use an online test, to be passed in the classroom on a tablet /phone /pc, as the preferred method to complete a classroom course.
Changing this behaviour requires a deep redesign of the whole editions system, we will consider it for future release but is not in roadmap yet