FormaLMS Server Migration

Install and configure FormaLMS and DoceboCE
chrisand6
Version: forma.lms 1.4.2

FormaLMS Server Migration

Post by chrisand6 »

Hello,

I would like to test and deploy in a 'test instance' of FormaLMS - but then as I am comfortable with the configuration, rebuild the entire instance on another server. Is there a fairly easy and straightforward method of backing-up the database and migrating the files over (or is it as simple as physically moving course material files from one server to the next and over-writing the SQL database on the new server.)

I can attempt this by myself - but I wanted to see if there were any special items or processes that I would need to be aware of in migration from people who have done it before and possibly save myself some time. (if nobody knows, I'll provide instructions upon my success). I haven't yet found any IT-related documentation for migration in the Docebo or the Forma documentation areas. (not migration from 1 LMS to another... just 1 instance of Forma to the same instance of Forma on a different PC)

If some exists and I've missed it, my apologies.

thanks,

-Chris
canelli
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.0

Re: FormaLMS Server Migration

Post by canelli »

Hi Chris

a) move or copy the file system where formalms reside from the current server to the new one
b) made a dump of the mysql database , and reload it in the new mysql instance ( if the first will not be accessible from the new server)
c) edit the forma.lms config.php on the new server and change accordly the db connection parameters
d) if you changed the url to access formalms , log in as an amministrator , go to the general prefernce of thwe administration panel and change the url of your instance

all is done

Claudio
Cercate nel forum le riposte prima di chiedere. Check the forum before posting
---------------
Claudio Anelli
Joint Technologies - Sistemi avanzati per l'information technology

http://www.joint-tech.com
---------------
jrgilo

Post by jrgilo »

Does this method work for version 2.0 ?
I tried this and Im getting a blank screen, any pointer would be helpful.
canelli
FormaLms Guru

Post by canelli »

The method works with all forma.lms versions .
If you have a blank page , there is a problem with php installation . check into apache / php error log of your server

Try a fresh install before restoring the moved database, and see if there are missing requirements.

Search into the forum , there are many thread about blank pages.
Cercate nel forum le riposte prima di chiedere. Check the forum before posting
---------------
Claudio Anelli
Joint Technologies - Sistemi avanzati per l'information technology

http://www.joint-tech.com
---------------