H5P for interactive content

hakangur
FormaLms User
Version: forma.lms 2.0

H5P for interactive content

Post by hakangur »

First of all, I do not know if this feature has already been suggested because the search option for this forum script will ignore search items shorter than 4 characters! Secondly, I do not know the roadmap for FormaLMS as I cannot find it on the official website; H5P might already be in the developers' agenda.

An open source content creation tool, H5P is currently available for Moodle, Wordpress (all LMS plugins benefit from that), Drupal (and especially Opigno), eFront, and TikiWiki; it is also included in the roadmap for Chamilo. I believe FormaLMS users would also benefit a lot from H5P if it were an integral part of FormaLMS. Further information about H5P is available on its official website: https://h5p.org/.
max
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.4

Re: H5P for interactive content

Post by max »

Hi Hakangur,
thank you for your suggestion.
In our roadmap we already had thought about integrating a third-party authoring tool. Of course it has to be Open Source, and this H5P seems to be a strong candidate.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
Elearnit - Elearning e Knowledge Management
https://www.elearnit.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimilianoferrari
m.ferrari[at]elearnit.net
cao
FormaLms User

Post by cao »

Hello Max,
Stay on course.
The organization should concentrate all its effort on corporate lms.
As a matter of facts, it should eliminate any area that is not geared toward corporate lms.
Keeping the authoring tools separate from the lms is a blessing, otherwise failure becomes part of the vocabulary.(bloated system)
There is an lms that uses H5P, Opigno. That lms is not doing very well.
In addition, H5P was base on flash or a flavor of flash. In 2020 flash will be gone.
Opigno and Moodle, they try to do too much. It is better to do one thing and do it well.
My Grandfather used to say "the tried and trusted should not be ditched for the unknown."
They are a lot of authoring tools in the market, e.g.: Captivate, Articulate, etc ...
cao
cao
FormaLms User

Post by cao »

Where is the roadmap info for Forma.
There is beauty in simplicity.
Cao
max
FormaLms Guru

Post by max »

cao wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:41 am Hello Max,
Stay on course.
The organization should concentrate all its effort on corporate lms.
As a matter of facts, it should eliminate any area that is not geared toward corporate lms.
Keeping the authoring tools separate from the lms is a blessing, otherwise failure becomes part of the vocabulary.(bloated system)
There is an lms that uses H5P, Opigno. That lms is not doing very well.
In addition, H5P was base on flash or a flavor of flash. In 2020 flash will be gone.
Opigno and Moodle, they try to do too much. It is better to do one thing and do it well.
My Grandfather used to say "the tried and trusted should not be ditched for the unknown."
They are a lot of authoring tools in the market, e.g.: Captivate, Articulate, etc ...
cao
Hi Cao,
thank you for your well-thought considerations. I can ensure you that we are focussing on improving Forma's core features, not to adding ones that don't belong in an Lms. For example, we're not adding blogs, sophisticated e-commerce features, invoicing systems, HR Management systems..... etc. Even if some high end commercial LMS have those features.
We believe we should focus on making Forma easier to integrate with 3rd party applications, so that any application can do what is does best.
The reason behind our wanting to integrate some authoring tools comes from the trends that we're seeing on the market. Many tenders that we participated in and many requests for quotation that we received included the necessity to have a built-in authoring system. We're still far from there, we also don't know if it will be H5P or Xerte or something else, but we will try to see if it's possible.
We too normally use Articulate tools, as well as iSpring or Vyond or all the authoring tools out there.
H5P is not flash based, however: it's HTML5.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
max
FormaLms Guru

Post by max »

cao wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 am Where is the roadmap info for Forma.
There is beauty in simplicity.
Cao
We discussed it in Milan last May with all Forma.association members or wannabe members that visited us. We'll try to publish it on the forum or on the website after the summer break.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
cao
FormaLms User

Post by cao »

I am in the Big Apple.
H5P move away from flash, that is good.
They are still an integral part of Opigno Lms.
Opigno is based on Drupal.
max
FormaLms Guru

Post by max »

Yes, I know that Milan is not so easy to reach for people from all over the world. Next year we'd like to organize an international event somewhere else. Uk? Usa? We'll see.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
hakangur
FormaLms User

Post by hakangur »

I see that there has been a lot of discussion ever since I started this topic, which is something wonderful.

To begin with, I have followed H5P very closely and contributed both by translating the core and by making suggestions for its development. To my knowledge, H5P has never been a Flash-based content creation tool. It is and has always been an HTML5-compatible tool ("H5P" stands for "HTML5 Package) and, as such, it is one of few free options that teachers will have when Flash is abandoned. And I would like to stress the fact that H5P "free", unlike such tools as Articulate or Captivate mentioned above.

It is a fact that H5P is an integral part of Opigno. It is also a fact that H5P is also used in Moodle, TikiWiki, eFront Pro, and WordPress (at least one LMS under WordPress is now fully integrated with H5P and catches results from H5P activities). This is because H5P is a "plugin", not a self-standing script. There is no reason why it should not be added to FormaLMS as a plugin. As the saying goes, "The more the merrier."

As for Xerte; my personal view as someone who has evaluated LMSs and content management tools for several decades now is that Xerte is a bit larger a piece than many ordinary teachers can swallow. In the time required to prepare and publish one interactive activity by using Xerte, one can create the same activity with much greater ease and sit down and enjoy a good cup of coffee by using H5P. In addition, H5P offers many more types of activities and content than can Xerte. Still, as "The more the merrier" is the starting point, why not both Xerte and H5P, and any other content creation tool? The only limitation, I believe, should be "priority" - an issue of whether to integrate these tools sooner or later. FormaLMS is a promising tool and it should be improved as much as possible so that it can remain competitive.
scubatricky
FormaLms User

Post by scubatricky »

As a business trainer, there are lots of tools out there that cover the LMS requirements for online learning. Lots to choose from in a crowded marketplace.

What is missing is a LMS / TMS that will work for offline training and certificate creation.

H5P is one feature I'd like to see in Forma in the future, but not a priority as that's a tool for eLearning, and not specifically an LMS tool.

Reporting: Yes, plenty of options for custom report building integral to the system would be useful (dashboard to view course completion etc)..

One final request / requirement from a corporate viewpoint would be to include simple tracking for certification expiry / refresher requirements. Within the business world, refresher training and re-certification is a critical requirement.